Dome Signatures

Inside_Dome_of_Old_MainConstruction of Old Main began in 1867 and, for 15 years, it served as the principal building on campus.  In 1882, Old Main caught fire and sustained considerable damage. Within seven months, the new building was completed.  While there were many improvements, the building continued to include student rooms, a dining room, classrooms, and an assembly hall.

For many years, Military Science classes were taught on the top floor of Old Main.  Within the Dome itself, a tradition of a Cadet leaving his name scrawled on the rafters or walls continued for almost a century.  Today, these areas are off-limits for reasons of safety and insurance; however, the signatures of the famous and not-so-famous remain in perpetuity within the interior of the Dome.